Radiation Effects on Blood Counts - 1 Gy vs 3 Gy
- After significant (> 1 Gy) radiation dose from exposure, all blood elements may be affected adversely.
- Increasing dose from exposure, (See sample curves for 1 Gy and 3 Gy), will have increasing effect, and effects will be seen earlier.
- Therapies for the Hematologic Subsyndrome of ARS have been described.
- Adapted from lecture by Col. William Dickerson, AFRRI.
Radiation Effects on White Blood Cell Counts - 1 - 5 Gy
- Systematic plots of white blood cell count over time after exposure to different doses of ionizing radiation
- Data extrapolated from mass casualty event at Chenobyl Nuclear Reactor accident
- Colored figure by Dr. William Dickerson, (AFRRI) based on Figure 6 from Vorobiev AI. Acute Radiation Disease and Biologic Dosimetry in 1993. Stem Cells 1997;15(Suppl 2):269-274 [PubMed Citation]