Potassium Phosphate, Dibasic
- Oral potassium phosphate, dibasic can be used to block uptake of radioactive phosphorus (P-32).
- The medication K-Phos® Neutral contains 250 mg phosphorus per tablet.
- Contraindicated in hyperphosphatemia, renal insufficiency, and infected phosphate stones.
- Suggested PO dosing (take with a full glass of water at meals and at bedtime)
- Adults: 250-500 mg (1-2 tabs) PO qid
- Children >4 years old: 250 mg (1 tab) PO qid
FDA Product Safety Info
- Not FDA approved for this indication/off-label use
- Management of Persons Contaminated with Radionuclides: Handbook (NCRP Report No. 161, Vol. I), National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements, Bethesda, MD, 2008, Medical Treatments Arranged by Radionuclide (p. 221). [Note: NCRP 161 supersedes NCRP 65.]