- A derivative of kelp used in the manufacture of ice cream.
- Oral alginates efficiently binds strontium in the gastrointestinal tract and prevent its absorption.
- Alginate is a listed ingredient in Gaviscon®, ~200 mg per tablet or tablespoon. Do not exceed use as directed on label.
- Suggested PO dosing (take with a full glass of water)
- 5 g PO bid for 1 day, then 1 g PO QID
FDA Product Safety Info
- Not FDA approved for this indication/off-label use
- Practical use of sodium alginate may be limited by viscosity and limited commercial availability.
- Management of Persons Contaminated with Radionuclides: Handbook (NCRP Report No. 161, Vol. I), National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements, Bethesda, MD, 2008, Medical Treatments Arranged by Radionuclide (p. 226) and Table 12.18 (p. 224). [Note: NCRP 161 supersedes NCRP 65.]